We're building an internet hosting provider that respects your freedom and protects your privacy.
Vikings is the world's first professional hosting company with a fully libre hosting platform stack. Our services are based
- 100% on libre boot firmware,
- 100% on libre-friendly and performant hardware (the Vikings D16 mainboard, based on ASUS KGPE-D16),
- 100% on libre software, and
- 100% on certified green energy.
Vikings is your one stop source for libre hosting services as well as libre servers and workstations.
Vikings needs your help!
"Vikings libre hosting" is a (partly) crowdfunded project and our products and services are currently in an active development phase.
The money raised will be used to hire developers to program the backend and frontend software that enables all customers to control their service(s) with us.
Vikings has been covering a major part of the overall crowdfunding goal: 100% of the hardware, 100% of the system administration, as well as a smaller part of the software developing process.
The pre-order phase has begun and will run until our goal is met - support us now and you'll receive a 15% discount for your pre-order and/or good karma for your contribution!
|Overall Goal||57.500 EUR|
|Vikings' Share||35.000 EUR|
|Crowdfunding Goal||22.500 EUR|
|Current Pledges||1.250,81 EUR|
How it works & payment options
If you like the idea of a libre hosting provider, you're kindly invited to support us by pre-ordering the service you're interested in and/or by contributing to our project without pre-ordering a specific service. In our store and for pre-orders, we accept payments via
- wire/bank transfer and
- PayPal (also for credit cards).
If you like to send us money by using bitcoin, please use this address (because bitcoin is currently not available through the order process in our store).
We would appreciate if you could avoid using PayPal, due to high payment fees we are being charged.
When and how FAQ
- When? We have the goal to provide our services as of 1st of May 2017, subject to our reaching the crowdfunding goal in time.
- What? Due to the variety of services we want to offer, we will only be able to roll our services one after the other, likely starting with virtual private servers.
- The more money we raise during the pre-order period, the quicker we'll be able to deliver our services.
- We will regularly give updates on any important developments or milestones through our website, mailing list, GNUsocial and Twitter.
- A standard subscription cycle is valid for one month. You can add another subscription cycle by simply increasing the quantity in your shopping cart.
- Payments by wire/bank transfer and bitcoin can be/are anonymous. We don't store your name and only need your email address (to send you an info once we are online) and your country (for tax reasons).
- Your pre-order payment is 100% refundable until 2 weeks after you have started using your service (after we've launched).
- We will send you an email as soon as we go live and at that point you will be able to decide how you would like to use your credit.
- Contributions are also refundable within a period of 12 weeks after we have received your contribution.
What we have done so far
- We set up data center space in a data center in Nuremberg, Germany (currently one rack with a 1 Gig E uplink).
- We set up two routers (one is based on the Vikings D16 with two 10G Ethernet cards and fully libre software, the other one is a Mikrotik CloudCore router) and put them into production.
- We set up a core switch.
- Since 2017-02-15 we are running 9 Vikings D16 servers. Most of the machines are equipped with two CPUs and 128 GB RAM (virtualization nodes), two as storage machines with SSDs and a couple of machines with various configurations to play around with. The average price is roughly 4.000 EUR/machine. Currently some of these machines are still in another data center in Frankfurt and will soon be moved to Nuremberg.